Environmental Compliance Engineer/Specialist
Employment type: Full time
Compensation: Dependent on experience
Keish Environmental is seeking a self-motivated, enthusiastic individual to join our team. The ideal candidate has a minimum of 5 years demonstrated experience in environmental engineering/sciences with a desire to grow personally and professionally with each assignment.
The Environmental Compliance Engineer/Specialist will manage project activities that include CEQA/NEPA compliance and stormwater permit oversight, inspections, and reporting. The successful candidate will support capital projects, performing design review and comment, checking project plans and specifications for integration of environmental commitments, and reporting on construction/field compliance.
In this role, the candidate will manage and complete multiple concurrent projects in a fast paced and rewarding environment. Our public and private sector clients rely on Keish staff to fulfill their project needs for environmental compliance documentation, including coordination and communication internally and externally with a diverse group of stakeholders. In addition to meeting CEQA/ NPEA and NPDES permit requirements, familiarity with and documentation of compliance with regulatory permits including Army Corps Section § 404, RWQCB § 401, CA Department of Fish and Wildlife LSAA, and other relevant state and federal environmental permit requirements is critical.
The successful candidate may also support client sustainability program activities that include oversight of project implementation of sustainability plans, utility management tracking electrical, water use, and solar functions, and conducting a wide variety of administrative and analytical tasks.
This position requires a mix of remote, in-office and field oversight work that includes active construction sites. Currently this is a full-time remote work position with field work required as needed. The position will transition to hybrid in-office/remote work schedule of 3-5 days in office/field over the next year. The timing for the transition will be based on COVID-19 transmission rates and client/project needs.
- Bachelor’s degree in environmental science or civil/environmental engineering or related science. (required)
- Advanced degree in environmental science, civil/environmental engineering, or related science. (preferred)
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant environmental experience.
- A strong environmental background pertaining to mitigation implementation and storm water compliance oversight including design evaluation and construction field monitoring.
- A diverse capital project background with federal, state, and municipal government projects.
- COVID-19 vaccinations required (medical or religious exceptions granted)
- Valid CA Driver’s License, clean driving record, and the ability to travel to various field sites in California.
Preferred Qualifications/ Skills/ Experience:
- Engineers: PE, or EIT on the cusp of registration will be considered.
- Env. Specialists: Possess CPESC, CPSWQ, NICET, CESSWI, CISEC certification.
- QSD with 5 years of storm water management/compliance experience.
- 2-3 years of construction management/compliance experience.
- Knowledge of the principles of local government administration municipal laws, rules, regulation, and ordinances
- Knowledge of water quality regulations and experience with the Regional and State Water Boards
- Knowledge and interest in sustainability and green building
- Knowledge of general construction and linear utility construction.
- Knowledge of regulatory compliance with CEQA and NEPA and other applicable laws, including, but not limited to, the Clean Air Act, Clean Water Act, Endangered Species Act, and National Historic Preservation Act.
- Ability to adaptively manage project and schedule changes.
- Proactive communicator, collaborator who can take and give direction, provide actionable reports, and project updates.
- Highly organized and motivated self-starter with a demonstrated track record of successfully managing and completing multiple concurrent projects.
- Effectively work independently and with a diverse project team, including client management, engineers, planners, and biologists, as well as regulatory agencies. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with fellow employees, municipal officials and organizational peers, contractors, and developers.
- Enjoy learning and sharing knowledge with others for the success of the company.
- Keen attention to detail.
- Be flexible and able to work with a variety of topics and tasks. Proven ability to perform in a high volume, time sensitive/deadline environment with a track record of dependability.
- Flexible hours and availability at nights and on weekends if required by the project (typically pre-scheduled)
- Perform physical labor and movement, including standing, climbing, sitting and/or lifting. Able to physically transport 25 lbs. on a consistent basis.
- Maintain confidentiality and exercise good judgment with sensitive information disclosures.
- Strong technical reading, writing, and reporting experience related to understanding engineering drawings, construction specifications, and technical environmental reports
Proficient with personal computers, digital devices, software applications including but not limited to document writers (Word, Adobe Acrobat, Publisher), online file access software (DropBox, SharePoint), photo and graphic programs (Photoshop, Roxio), database management (Access, Projects, FileMaker), email and web-based applications. Proficient with computer applications including MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint). Working knowledge of Adobe and Bluebeam. Specialized knowledge of AutoCAD or GIS is a benefit.